New York State Department of Health Vital Records has birth records (since 1881) for all of New York State except New York City. It does not have these records for New York City (the boroughs of Manhattan, Kings (Brooklyn), Queens, Bronx, and Richmond (Staten Island)). Birth records are also available from the local Registrar of Vital Statistics where the event occurred.
Who is eligible to get a copy of a birth certificate?
- The person named on the birth certificate.
- A parent of the person named on the birth certificate. The requesting parent’s name must be on the birth certificate.
- A spouse, child or others, but only by order of a New York State court.
What identification needs to be submitted by the applicant?
Application must be submitted with copies of either A or B:
- One of the following forms of valid photo-ID:
- Driver’s license
- State-issued, nondriver photo-ID card
- U.S. Military-issued, photo-ID
- Two of the following showing the applicant’s name and address:
- Utility or telephone bill
- Letter from a government agency dated within the last six months
Please submit a copy of your U.S. passport in addition to the above ID if you are applying from a foreign country that requires a passport for travel.